Millennials are going crazy about plants. On social media, pages and hashtags around plants are trending; people call themselves ‘plant mamas’. A houseplant is not a new concept. It’s been around for quite some time; however, more and more young people are interested in house plants.
Houseplants have numerous benefits. In fact, having a plant at home and watching it grow and taking care of it is already very gratifying. And, additionally, it has benefits for mental and physical health. Although houseplants have a lot of benefits, they can represent some dangers to pets or children. It is essential to know that everyone knows the risks associated with having a houseplant.
Nerium Oleander is a lovely plant with pink flowers and deep green leaves. Previously planted into yards, but now these beautiful plants are making their way up to our houses. While embellishing their house, people should be aware that this beautiful plant can be very poisonous.
Research by the US Library Of Medicine, oleander is highly toxic to humans and animals alike, causing severe vomiting, lightheadedness, and even heart block. Some have even died from ingesting the plant. So if you find yourself enjoying the plant’s beautiful flowers, be sure to keep them some metres apart.
Caladiums are a widespread and beautiful house plant. Caladium plants come in different species; malanga, seagull, elephant ears and much more. Frequent victims of caladium are pets or toddlers.
The common symptoms of caladium poisoning are vomiting, difficulty swallowing and sore mouth. Children may have sore eyes if they touch the plant then rub their eyes. Ingesting a large amount of the plant may lead to death.
We are all in awe when we see a blooming peace lily. They are very beautiful and do not need much maintenance, It seems like a good deal, but peace lily can be very poisonous to your pets and children or even to adults if ingested.
Peace lily contains a toxic compound called raphides. Their ingestion may result in an inflammatory reaction and depend on the amount of plant that has been swallowed.
Symptoms in pets are diarrhea, vomiting and fatigue. A visit to the vet is not compulsory as the symptoms will fade gradually, but if they are persisting, I recommend you seek out professional help.
Even though they are less common, we have to talk about daffodils as they become more popular. Daffodils bulbs contain lycorine, which can cause mouth irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, and upset stomach. If you have frequent contact with daffodils, you can develop a skin condition causing it to be itchy and red.
Pothos is another example of a very common houseplant that you should beware of. You recognized them by their large dark green leaves, which have a waxy texture. Some species have white stripes. Pothos have air-purifying properties and can bear low light, which makes them an ideal houseplant.
While pothos plants are simple to care for, you should be aware that they are toxic. Because it contains calcium oxalates, the plant can induce discomfort and vomiting if consumed. Even the resin from the plant might produce a rash in those who are hypersensitive.
If ever you suspect an intoxication with one of these mentioned plants, make sure to handle the situation with care. Seek professional advice as the effect may vary depending on the person’s body mass or the nature of the ingested toxin. If you have plants or pets, better keep these plants out of their reach or look for safer alternatives. Please let us know in the comment section if you have one of these plants at home.